Friday, November 18, 2005

Say Your Prayers...

I got robbed tonight.

OK, well I didn't get robbed, but the hotel where I work as a night auditor got robbed (although they did take all of my money too).

The details are insignificant. I am very angry right now, but that too is not important.

So why am I writing this? I don't want sympathy, and it's not a very good catharsis. But what do I write about, and how is this related?

My coworker is from Somalia, and, as one could probably easily guess, he is a Muslim. Actually, as the robbers approached us, my coworker and I were discussing religion - why he has so much faith and why I have none. After the ordeal, after the police and manager had left, and Aziz and I were once again alone and left to discuss our experience, he brought up his god. Allah had saved us. Do I now have faith? Do I now believe in this benevelent god who so graciously spared my life?

My answer is simple: I look at this in a completely different way...

...a god who loves me wouldn't have allowed this to happen.

My jaw might be broken. Hell, my nose may be broken. My reason however, is stronger than ever.

5 comments:

DUB said...

I intend to go to the emergency room and ascertain if infact anything is broken. The squad came and gave me a (very quick) once over, said everything looked alright, and promptly left.

My face was pretty well covered in blood, and they didn't really do more than look (with their eyes) and ask me how I felt. Having adrenaline pumping through my veins, I told them I was fine. Now that I feel it, I am questioning that. I have broken my jaw and nose more than once each, and I am quite familiar with the feeling. That being said, I do not think anything is broken - it just sure as hell hurts. What worries me is this big-ass hematoma on my temple, and the fact that the gash on my inner lip hasn't yet stopped bleeding two hours or so later.

Anonymous said...

"I have broken my jaw and nose more than once each, and I am quite familiar with the feeling."

I presume this means you've shared your opinions on this matter before?

DUB said...

TJ...

LOL...actually it just means that I was a bad-ass as a youngin', and I play all out on the basketball court.

Shinsyotta said...

I hope you are okay, DUB.

breakerslion said...

Hope your recovery is going well. The whole incident sounds like it sucks. A good Apologist would tell you that the god needs to screw you up the ass once in a while so that you can appreciate how good it feels when it stops. Or, perhaps it was just the penguin's day off. Things always happen for a reason you know! ;-)